Thursday, October 14, 2010

E is for Emotions





Today we:

Did a science experiment with a balloon, baking soda and vinegar!

Crack a hard-boiled egg, sliced it, and ate it up! Yum!

Sang songs about smiles

Today we had lots of educational fun! Here's how it went:

At circle time we practiced our sign language for a, b, c, d, and now e. To teach the kids I told them to pretend that their little hands were making a monster mouth. They had fun munching their hands around. I think they successfully got it down, now we need to repeat it so they can remember it!

They really enjoy the worksheets from sparklebox.com so we did four of those today. One of the boys might actually be ambidextrous! He switches from left to right hand frequently and I can't tell which one is dominant. We also colored on the sliding glass door with dry erase markers. They loved that!

I gave each child a hard-boiled egg to crack, peel and slice in my cool egg slicer. This was a hit for snack time. We paired it with crackers, bananas and apple juice.

I put on a crazy science party this weekend for my older son so I thought since it was E week, we could do a few Experiments. Today we experimented to see if we could get a balloon to blow up over a water bottle filled with vinegar.

Here's what you need to do it: Vinegar, small water bottles, baking soda, balloons.

1. Fill the water bottles half way full of vinegar 2. fill the balloons with baking soda 3. carefully place the mouth of the balloon over the water bottle mouth with out dropping any baking soda in the bottle. 4. you are ready to experiment. Lift the balloon up and let the baking soda fall into the vinegar. 5. watch the balloon expand.

The kids loved this. Their faces were so cute. One of the boys was afraid of it and ran from the room. He is the youngest of the crew and I explained that it wasn't going to explode. He remained leery of the balloons for the rest of preschool. :)

We also did Spaghetti art. They boys loved running their fingers through the slimy spaghetti.

We ended with singing time, sharing and piano time. I am trying something new with the piano. I always write the letter on the note so as they press it they can see where each and ever e is on the keys. Today after they had each taken turns going up and down the key board finding all the e's, I had them close their eyes. I would play an e and ask if it was an e. After a few times doing that, I then would play a different note and ask. I was surprised to find that they were being to tell a difference in the tones. At first they got them all wrong, they got stuck in saying yes. Then they really began to listen and could tell. It was a success, so I think we will play that game each piano day!

♥ Miss Mandy


No comments:

Post a Comment